Integration of the BE into the COST Action platform for forest structure and multitaxon data
Integration of DFG exploratories into the platform for forest structure and multitaxon data established by the COST Action.
The COST Action Platform will provide existing information on biodiversity, structure and management of several taxa for more than 3,000 sampling units in most European forest types, involving managers of up to 200 million hectares of forest and a large number of managers of protected areas.
The main research objectives envisaged are:
– A standardised platform of multi-taxon data for European forests
– A network of forest sites with basic information for future monitoring
– Common protocols for multi-taxon sampling
– An analysis of the relationships between multi-taxon biodiversity, structure and management
– A coordinated network of forest manipulation experiments
– Indicators and thresholds for sustainable forest management tested directly against
– Management guidelines to be applied especially in forest certification and protected areas